The mission of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is to:
- educate Nigerian citizens about democracy and the election process;
- provide for voter registration;
- compile a credible voters’ register;
- demarcate constituency boundaries; v. organize and conduct credible elections;
- monitor the conduct of political parties;
- audit the finances of political parties, and
- promote an enduring democratic culture in Nigeria.
The vision of INEC is that of a dynamic and formidable organization that is a major force in the continuation and furtherance of democracy in Nigeria. Also, INEC should be a widely respected and credible institution for democratic governance in the nation. INEC will be seen as a political anchor of democracy in Nigeria and the whole of Africa.
Transparency: INEC will be open and transparent in all our activities and in our relations with the political stakeholders, media organizations, INEC service providers and the people of Nigeria.
Integrity: INEC will be truthful and honest in all our dealings with the people of Nigeria, its political stakeholders and each other.
Credibility: INEC will strive to ensure that the people of Nigeria and in particular the political stakeholders will readily accept all of our actions and activities. We will be an institution that the people can trust.
Impartiality: INEC will endeavor to create a level playing field for all political actors.
Dedication: INEC is committed to providing the highest quality election services to the people of Nigeria. We will also work to ensure that merit will continue to be the basis for the compensation, promotion and recruitment of staff.